Monday, February 22, 2016

The Invention of Wings

The Invention of WingsThe Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Stories about slavery in America never fail to shock me. I've read numerous true accounts of the brutality that was the life of an African American slave. But this story not only made my stomach turn but it also brought hope to my heart. In all the ugliness, two women are brought together. This isn't a story about best friends who stick together through thick and thin, but rather a tale about two women whose lives are intertwined in the most uncomfortable way: the slave and the mistress. Kidd has a beautiful way with words that made me not want to put the book down. Kidd not only attacked the evils of slavery and racism but also sexism and sometimes Christianity.

One of my favorite aspects of the book is the complicated relationship between Sarah and Handful. For a majority of the book, the two aren't even in the same region but a promise and a lost friendship binds them together in every step they take.

I would suggest this book to anyone who likes historical fiction and doesn't always expect a happy ending.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment