Friday, March 11, 2016

Station Eleven

Station ElevenStation Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I first saw this book, I thought, "Great. Another apocalypse novel." But, I am so glad I gave it a chance. Mandel's writing is both poetically beautiful and thrilling. It had all the elements of a thrilling world gone to ruins juxtaposed with modern society and art. Two things really set this book apart.

First, the writing style. Mandel has great character development which is impressive since the audience follows so many characters. In addition to the character development, Mandel writes like a 21st century Fitzgerald. Her style causes the reader to really think about what they just read. A good book should cause the reader to think.

Second, its uniqueness. This was not an apocalyptic novel about teenagers fighting zombies or brilliant but attractive scientists trying to beat the impending plague. It was about a group of actors who perform classical music and Shakespeare. This may sound weird, but it's actually very interesting.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment