Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: 5 Star Reads


1. Illustrated Man


The Illustrated Man is one of my all time favorite books. Bradbury has such a unique writing style and masters the creepy factor. This book is full of sub stories all encompassed in the tale of The Illustrated Man. If you have read Something Wicked this Way Comes, you will recognize the name of this character but this story follows a very different story line. 

2.The Adventures of Tom Sawyer


We all know the story, but if you haven't actually read the book, you need to. Twain is hilarious and clever. This tale is so much more than a book. Huck and Tom will be your family by the end. 


3. Les Miserables


Les Miserables is by no means a light read. Your heart will break repeatedly as you read this tale. But you will be glad to have it broken. There is a love in this book you won't find anywhere else. Your definitions of love, Christianity and morality will all be questioned. If you are looking for something deep and life changing, this is your book. 

4. The Five People You Meet in Heaven


This is a sad but sweet tale of redemption. Albom is great when it comes to evoking empathy and imagination. You will feel in this book. 

5. The Giver


I know I've already talked about The Giver, but it was one of the first books that really had an impact on me as a child and I still hold it very dear to my heart. 


6. The Things They Carried


This is a classic work of American Literature about a very controversial time: The Vietnam War. If I could trade talents with anyone, it would be Tim O'Brien. I would give my right arm to be able to manipulate words the way he does. He makes you taste the gun powder and feel the weight of the soldier's pack. This is a beautiful work of literature.  


7. The Last Battle


So...maybe it specifically says on the cover that it is a story for children. But you are never too old for Narnia. 


8. The Phantom of the Opera


Love the musical, love the play and love the book. 


9. The Lord of the Rings


Yes, I know big shock! The nerdy librarian likes Lord of the Rings. But seriously, so much of my love for books came from the world Tolkein created. 


10. Dracula


I read Dracula every October. I argue it is one of the best horror books of all time. No movie adaptation that I have seen has ever come close to the book. 

Check brokeandbookish.com for more Top Ten lists!

1 comment:

  1. Both The Giver and Dracula are really good reads. Nice list!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/03/5-of-my-latest-five-star-reads-5-of-my.html

    ReplyDelete