Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Five Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Check out Broke and Bookish for more Top Ten Lists! 


1. Tyler Durden


Fight Club creeps me out. It made me feel uncomfortable in a way that I did not enjoy. I have had people tell me I didn't get it because I'm not a man. Sure, I can see why maybe Tyler Durden appeals to men more than women, but I'm concerned about the men who connect with Tyler Durden. Maybe you guys didn't read the book, but he is crazy. 

Freud would say we are all Tyler Durden, we just don't give into our unconscious mind. Sure, I have had desires that go against my every day norm, but I never have murderous- cult creating desires. 



2. Triss 


Divergent filled the void left in readers' hearts by The Hunger Games. But Triss is no Katniss Everdeen. Katniss was special because everything she did, she did for those she loved. Triss is special because she was born different. I don't feel the chemistry between her and Four and she cries a lot.

There is nothing truly terrible about Triss. I just didn't feel a connection with her. I don't get the hype. She lacks in comparison to other heroines. 


First, I must be honest. I did not like this series. There are a myriad of reasons why I didn't like it, but one big one was America. Her character is completely unrealistic. Why would the prince like her? Her personality drove me crazy. She is hot headed, falls in love easily and didn't want to be a part of The Selection in the first place. She is only there for the money. 

She has a few redeeming moments, she makes a political stand, comes clean about her secret love and cares for her family. However, she regrets every political stand she takes, lies to the prince for most of their relationship and lies to her family. 


4. Gale


I love The Hunger Games. I was one of those weird people who bought a Mockingjay pin and read the books multiple times. At first, I loved Gale. He was the masculine figure who didn't know how to show his feelings. But throughout the series, he became increasingly more whiny and less endearing.

What really killed me was how petty he became. He was jealous of Peeta so he took dangerous measures with Katniss. And, of course, he fought like a coward without ethics. In the end, it was his plan that killed those children. There is no coming back from that.



5. Elizabeth Bennett


I love classics. I love the way writing used to be so eloquent and I wish I could emulate that style. However, Pride and Prejudice was boring. Elizabeth Bennett was prejudiced and Darcy was proud. Clever title, boring book, boring characters. I remember at one point in the book exclaiming out loud, "If one more person proposes...I'm throwing this book." 

The banter between Elizabeth and Darcy is cute at best but frustrating to a girl who was hoping for stronger themes such as the true value of womanhood and humility. But instead, I listed to Elizabeth's stubborn remarks and jokes about manners. No thank you, Elizabeth Bennett. 

No comments:

Post a Comment