Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Five Characters I LOVE But Others Seem To Dislike

Check out Broke and Bookish for more Top Ten Lists!


1. Boromir

Boromir was a valiant  warrior of Gondor. He was known for his bravery and strength. Beloved by all, including his younger brother, Faramir. As the eldest son of the Steward of Gondor, he was selected to go to the Council of Elrond. Now where people tend to be turned off by Boromir, is how easily he succumbs to the temptations of the ring. But I would argue that he does not "succumb" to the ring but rather longs for something, anything to help save his people. 

He was not tempted by the ring, but tempted by the opportunity to provide safety and security to Gondor. Yes, he tries to take it from Frodo and for but a moment, maybe he intended to cause Frodo harm. But he was unsuccessful and in seeing his faults, he was stricken with guilt and grief. So much so, that he sacrificed himself to save Merry and Pippin. Boromir only ever had good intentions and I must argue that his intentions justify his actions. Had he really known the evil of the ring, he would not have played with its fire. 

2. Javert

Javert is probably the embodiment of anti-hero. He is diligent and obsessed in his profession which is his main flaw. This obsession blinds his heart so that he cannot have compassion. To him, one cannot break the law and be a good person. No means justifies the ends. He looks at the consequences of the action rather than the intent. But this is an honorable characteristic for an officer of the law. Even good people do bad things sometimes, but a precedent for all people must be set. 

When his eyes are open to the possibility of a good criminal, he is so shaken that he is driven to suicide. All he knew and believed had been tossed in the dirt. Javert is harsh but as the reader, I pity him. His devotion to the law has driven him to madness and cruelty. Val Jean and Javert pray to the same God, but who is the more righteous? 

3. Rabbit

Everyone loves Tigger, Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore and Piglet. But how many people say that Rabbit is their favorite? Rabbit gets a bad rap because he is a little OCD, controlling and doesn't always want to engage in the fun. But those descriptors also describe me perfectly. I like things a very specific way and I would rather stay home and read than partake in social gatherings. 

These aren't necessarily bad traits. It's good to have a mature person in the group who will take charge in the face of fear. It is good to have someone level headed who loves the goofiness of the others but can gently lead them in the right direction when necessary. 

Rabbit may not be the most funny or endearing character, but he just might steal your heart if you let him.

4. Hester Prynne

Scarlet Letter  is not exactly a page turning thriller or a passionate romance. It is a story about sin, coping with sin and the penalty of ostracism. I have heard the argument that Hester is a bland character because she doesn't stand up for herself or her child. But I think she is simply doing the best she can with the circumstances laid before her. 

She is not exactly my favorite but I believe she is one of the most important feminine characters in literature up to that time. The issues she dealt with are ones women continue to deal with. When a teenage girl gets pregnant and she has to deal with whispers and jokes in the hallway. She carries herself with grace and that is something admirable.

5. Bella Swan


When Twilight first came out, it was a big deal. People seriously liked this book. In fact, I liked this book. But now, saying you like Twilight is condemn-able. 

That being said, I like Bella. I think she is a realistic character in a completely unrealistic book. She is flawed. She is clumsy, awkward and only moderately pretty. For a girl who is all of those things, I really related to her. Sure, she was kind of annoying...what girl isn't? I'm just saying, let's not throw our hate on Bella when we really just kind of hate ourselves for being so into a vampire novel. 

3 comments:

  1. The only thing I could think while reading your list was, "That's such a Boromir thing to say." xD (The Interview.) Great list, I respect Hester Prynne for the character she was at the time. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol to be fair to Bella, I don't like any of the characters from Twilight ;) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Top Ten!
    Bella Swan also made my list. She was so boring and had no self respect.
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete